Re: HTTP 2.0 performance is slower than HTTP 1.1 in libcurl

From: Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 21:22:45 +0900

Hi,

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 6:21 PM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 May 2016, Rajiullah Shammi wrote:
>
> Just to inform, by shrinking the H2_BUFSIZE to 16K, I haven’t seen any
>> improvement in my test (https://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2016-05/0080.html)
>>

> Ah, yeah I was sort of suspecting that it wouldn't make anything better
> when using many streams. What if you make it much larger, does that change
> anythinh?
>
> And for reference, I'm attaching my *experimental* patch to set the
> initial window size to 512MB and disable nghttp2's automatic window
> handling.

In my opinion, I recommend to keep using nghttp2's auto WINDOW_UPDATE
feature while enlarging window size to 512MiB unless you'd want to
implement custom WINDOW_UPDATE scheduler. With large WINDOW_SIZE, nghttp2
will send WINDOW_UPDATE less frequently (current implementation, it sends
WINDOW_UPDATE when it receives 256MiB without sending any WINDOW_UPDATE).

Bumping up window size of connection should be done in initialization
phase, e.g., after nghttp2_submit_settings in http2_switched.

Best regards,
Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa