Re: curl user survey results 2016

From: dev_user <dev_at_cor0.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 08:19:54 -0400

On 06/21/2016 08:12 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016, dev_user wrote:
>
>> That is one heck of a sub-title :
>>
>> "make SSL less of a nightmare"
>>
>> Not that I disagree.
>
> Haha, yeah I figured I should make it a tradition and subtitle the
> analysis with a quote from one of the suggestions. I'm not sure making
> SSL "less of a nightmare" is within reach for us but I liked how that
> request to gave an air of hope that we out of all people would be able
> to solve such a thorny issue.
>
> Possibly the request meant that we should "make SSL [in curl] less of a
> nightmare", but I don't think it is a nightmare by any means for users
> of curl or libcurl. It could perhaps be considered closing in to a
> nightmare for us who try to actually add features and things in curl's
> TLS layer [for insights into that, see the HTTPS-proxy pull request on
> github]...

Yeah, that subtitle, well I would say using libCurl is the most trivial
way one can think of to get access to SSL and TLS based communications.
Perhaps someone was indeed thinking "I live in the SSL source code and I
don't want to be there anymore". Who knows. Was this the same person
that said to drop IPv4 support? :-\

Also, whomever said to remove "curl_easy_setopt" should be taken out and
spanked. Really? Code all over the world would stop working.

Dennis

ps: just thinking out loud with coffee and your report in hand