Specifying the authentication mechanism

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 19:04:44 +0100

Hi all,

We recently received a Pull Request [1] to add support for ldap_bind_s() on Windows and as such use more secure authentication mechanisms.

With this came the ability for the user / programmer to specify the required authentication mechanism to use via --basic, --digest and --ntlm (from the curl command line) and from CURLOPT_HTTPAUTH from libcurl.

In that Pull Request I opened up the question of whether we should be using the HTTP AUTH option for LDAP and whether we should look at merging the SASL authentication mechanisms with the HTTP option?

This means that potentially we could add the following "current" command line options to other protocols:

--basic - for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
--digest - for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
--ntlm - for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP

...and the following "new" command line options:

--gssapi (or --krb5) for LDAP, IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
--cram-md5 for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
--plain (or --login) depending which of these --basic was used for!

This would also mean that the options parsing, from the command line, that the mail protocols currently do could be made a little more generic and used by HTTP (as currently planned) and LDAP.

As such, I thought it worth dropping a line to the mailing list to ask for peoples opinions as I know not everyone looks at the PR's on GitHub.

Many thanks for your input

Kind Regards

Steve

[1] https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/878