Re: --trace-time times and wireshark timestamps differ

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 11:00:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016, Tim Ruehsen wrote:

> Just tried curl with '--trace log --trace-time' and capturing the session
> with wireshark. The times given by curl and the ones given by wireshark
> differ by ~466ms. I am used to see differences of a few microseconds... but
> half a second ?
>
> Can anyone reproduce that ?

Never tried it, but curl gets its time stamp from exactly when the
debug callback is called, which of course may differ from when wireshark
captures the packet.

Are you saying they always differ with the same amount (466ms) of time?

Note that curl shows the "wall clock" number of microseconds, they're not
relative to the start time. The seconds field is relative to the first second
it gets logged: https://github.com/curl/curl/blob/master/src/tool_cb_dbg.c#L61