Re: patch release tomorrow

From: dev_user <dev_at_cor0.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 09:13:24 -0400

On 08/02/2016 05:18 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'll put together a 7.50.1 patch release tomorrow.

Excellent. I will watch for that. As I noted on my email 27th July 2016
there seems to be a few tests that fail in various versions released
over the past little while :

7.47.0 :TESTDONE: 771 tests out of 771 reported OK: 100%
7.47.1 :TESTDONE: 771 tests out of 771 reported OK: 100%
7.49.0 :TESTDONE: 780 tests out of 782 reported OK: 99%
7.49.0 :TESTFAIL: These test cases failed: 1139 1140
7.49.1 :TESTDONE: 782 tests out of 782 reported OK: 100%
7.50.0 :TESTDONE: 784 tests out of 786 reported OK: 99%
7.50.0 :TESTFAIL: These test cases failed: 1139 1140

So hopefully 7.50.1 reports a 100% clear on the testsuite.

> Possibly most notable: we're reverting the change that modified the
> CURL, CURLM and CURLSH types and they go back to be 'void *' unless
> you define CURL_STRICTER before including our headers.

That is interesting. I wonder if there is a test for that. Probably
possible to have a ten line test. However I have to agree that there
is no reason to promise or even suggest that curl "symbols are free
for others to forward declare like that." I certainly don't have a
compile or link problem and last time I checked I have 90,000+ lines
of code to deal with inside my applications here. Not a single error.

> As always: we can really use your help!

Wish I could do more. I am sure you know that libcurl has become an
essential component. There may still be plenty of folks hand rolling
their code to fetch or submit data across networks using the TCP/IP
manuals, OpenSSL and coffee but libcurl gets the job done far better.

In an unrelated bug I have been living in my curl tee-shirt for more
than a few days in a few offices and thus far received comments like:

   1 - oh, I have heard of that. Its a new website protocol right?
   2 - you don't look like the type that works out a lot
   3 - why is that last bit green in colour?
   4 - I tried that in front of a url in my browser and it doesn't
         do anything. [ I loved that one ]
   5 - is that related to surfing or swimming ?

I was surprised that not a single person could "get it". So, that's a
human bug possibly fixed with me telling them "look up libcurl because
it's everywhere."

Dennis