RE: patch release tomorrow

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 00:04:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 7 Aug 2016, Steve Holme wrote:

> I also appreciate this is a little subjective but I would have thought
> adding support for NTLM with mbedTLS is also a new functionality -
> previously NTLM wasn't supported with mbedTLS so I wouldn't class that as a
> bug fix.

That's of course a matter of defintion and while it perhaps isn't strictly a
bug that was fixed, since it was very much deliberate. But I consider it a bug
when a particualr backend doesn't support the full feature set so when we fix
that it is a bug fix. I don't view it as a real "change" either since
supporting NTLM is something we've done for decades. Tricky.

> It seems to me that, those 4 weeks of testing and bug fixing aren't going to
> be used as well as they could be. With regards to testing there hasn't been
> much added since the last weeks release so not a huge amount of stuff to
> test.

I beg to differ. We're constantly behind on bug fixing (and associated tests)
so even without anything added we still have lots of things to fix and test.
Just see the KNOWN_BUGS and the open issues. Several of those have been around
for a long time and I struggle to keep up.

I would agree that we're probably not that many people doing this kind of
debug and test work, so the bugfixing period may actually be taken by some (or
many) as a hint to go procrastinate until the feature window opens again but
I'm not sure that's a very good argument for us to change habits.

>> So, do you or anyone else want another week for adding features until we
>> close that for the next release?
>
> Please - and it the chance for other features to drop in as well.

Absolutely! The feature window is hereby extended one week - it'll now close
on August 17. Let's try to keep the pending release date at September 7th
anyway.