Re: RTSP over SSL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 23:35:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016, Dan Burkett wrote:

> Using libcurl, I'm attempting to use RTSPS (RTSP over SSL). Starting with
> the example curl-7.50.1/docs/examples/rtsp.c, I've added the curl SSL
> options borrowed from the FTPS example, but they don't seem to have any
> affect.

I don't blame you for thinking curl would support it, but it actually doesn't!
(and I find no docs claiming that it does)

I would expect RTSPS to be supported by the URI using exactly that scheme:
"rtsps://example.com/" as rtsp has so many similarities with https. The
CURLOPT_USE_SSL model is more suitable for ping-pong protocols such as FTP,
SMTP and the likes.

Adding support for RTSPS shouldn't be a big deal to do though. All the
necessary pieces are already present. We mostly need to add a new Curl_handler
struct in lib/rtsp.c (taking inspiration from http.c on how it has one http
handler and one https handler), add it to the protocol[] array in lib/url.c
and then document it! =)