configure finding system openssl instead of my own

From: Linus Nordberg <linus_at_nordberg.se>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2016 18:19:04 +0200

Hi,

Trying to get configure to find and alternate openssl installation
instead of the system one on a (32-bit) Debian jessie system but it
keeps picking up the one from packages libssl-dev and libssl1.0.0
(/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu).

I think that this is a regression since March. Question is where -- it
might very well be something on my system. Before I go crazy debugging
autoconfery issues, I thought I'd ask here if curl changed anything wrt
finding openssl headers and libraries lately. The only thing I spotted
when looking briefly was the ac_cv_ -> curl_cv_ changes in April but
haven't investigated that more closely yet.

Here's what used to work for me back in March:

  ./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr --with-ssl=$HOME/usr/openssl11 --enable-debug --enable-maintainer-mode

Here's what's failing now:

  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/usr/openssl11/lib/pkgconfig ./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr --enable-debug --enable-maintainer-mode

host:curl% egrep -A3 'checking for OpenSSL headers version' config.log
configure:22254: checking for OpenSSL headers version
configure:22284: gcc -E conftest.c
configure:22284: $? = 0
configure:22345: result: 1.0.1 - 0x1000114fL

(I did try the `--with-ssl=' option instead of using PKG_CONFIG_PATH
with the same result.)

It should say 'result: 1.1.0' since that's what I have installed in
$HOME/usr/openssl11.

configure does add -L for $HOME/usr/openssl11/lib properly but the
configure test compilations also use -L/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu and put
that _before_ the local installation so that the linker uses the system
installed openssl library instead of my own.

Haven't hunted down the include situation to any detail yet but am
assuming that it picks up /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h.

Crossing my fingers that I'm doing something silly here!

Thanks,
Linus