Re: stop shipping PDF and HTML versions in tarballs?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 08:17:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 16 Oct 2016, Vadim Grinshpun wrote:

> I usually use the online docs on the web site.

I think most people do. Then you just google for what you need plus you get
the upside of the latest updates to the docs automatically.

> I rather like the idea of a separate tarball for the docs -- it's best of
> both worlds, and download stats will show the actual demand. (another
> variation: 3 tarballs, library, docs, and combined).

I'm personally not that interested in that as I see no clear benefit. I think
a decent package should ship with docs included - and the docs that isn't
included can usually just as well be served on the web site only. A separate
docs package would also increase the risk that people would get/read docs for
a different version than the one they're using. It would probably be me who'd
do the other release archives as well which would only add to my work load.
And really, the release archive is not very big by today's standards anyway
with the bz2 version now being less than 2.5MB.

If we separated maintainence/release work for the different packages then I
think making separate ones would make more sense. Like I once thought we'd end
up splitting out the curl tool from the archive so that curl and libcurl would
be two different release packages.