RE: [SECURITY ADVISORY] curl invalid URL parsing with '#'

From: Rod Widdowson <rdw_at_steadingsoftware.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 13:24:18 -0000

> Are you suggesting curl's current handling of file:// doesn't work properly on
> Windows?

Not in the slightest (and if I had something found you'd have heard about it).

I've honestly not had the opportunity to look. I just know that I have spent more cycles than I would want (going back many decades) in working with issues in other packages and their assumption (or otherwise) about current working directory and what relative and absolute paths look like.

This is always going to be a delicate area. I always end up getting something which works in an explainable way, but it's never what I thought would work first time.

My observation was made more in support of your inferred conclusion that that any breakage as a result of this fix is explainable and no less broken than before.

Thanks, and sorry for the noise.

Rod