CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT error

From: Pushkar Kulkarni <pushkar.rvce_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 16:59:47 +0530

Hi there,

I am working on the Foundation libraries of open source Swift. The
implementation of URLSession there, uses libcurl underneath.

There's an issue where we make ~180 GET calls to the *same endpoint* (the
GitHub API). Internally, for each GET call we seem to be configuring an
easy handle and then registering it with a multi handle. In one of these
iterations (randomly), I see libcurl returning CURLE_CANNOT_CONNECT.

So, I turned on the verbose mode and before each transfer I could see this:
[1] Connection #0 to host api.github.com left intact

Only, before the failing connection, I see:
[1] Connection #0 to host api.github.com left intact
[1] Closing connection 0`

Nothing else is logged on failure. When I try to use strace, to find the
failing system call, the failure gets masked.

I am not sure how to proceed with the analysis. Can someone please help me
take this further, please?