The problem of tracking TLS cipher names

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 01:15:38 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

For a very long time we've tried to keep our man pages and other docs
up-to-date with links to the correct remote docs that lists cipher suite names
for NSS and OpenSSL.

We've updated the links many times over the years but we seem to always be a
few steps behind, and today when I checked the links in the --ciphers man page
section, one of them is dead and the other links to a HTML page that renders
completely as text.

Tired of this cat and mouse game I instead created this:

  https://github.com/curl/curl/blob/master/docs/CIPHERS.md

I'm sure this will to other problems instead, like us having to keep this up
to date and match the crypto libs, but at least we can turn this into a fixed
URL on our web site that won't change every other year.

I'll appreciate your help and feedback to polish this of course. Patches, pull
requests or just replying here are all fine.

I'll turn this into a version on the curl.haxx.se site within a few days if no
major objections are heard - then we can link to that from the docs instead.