Re: Tests 1060, 1061 fail

From: dev_user <dev_at_cor0.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 21:48:27 +0000

On 01/08/2017 09:02 PM, Spork Schivago wrote:
> dev_user,
>
> I didn't know about the Pascal goto's being considered poor code. I
> was referring to C. I want to say when I was majoring in Computer
> Science up at the local college, we were told to try to avoid them and I
> almost remember something about some more fancy college (maybe an Ivy
> League or something) where they said you almost never really need them.
> Then, I thought someone showed an example where the only way to write
> the code was with a goto.
>
> I'm glad you responded to me and told me they're okay in a situation
> like this. Thank you for taking the time to educate me a little.
> It's much appreciated.

I was one of those ivy leage types and I can tell you that over 30 yrs
of programming in everything from direct opcodes in a DEC PDP unit up
through Honeywell, Unisys, IBM 3090's and every thing in the middle we
used a goto rarely and carefully but used them none the less. The trick
is to document how the entry point can be reached because if the same
goto is used multiple times across many thousands of lines of code then
there may be a better way to do it. Otherwise, go forth and goto. ( pun
intended ).

Dennis Clarke
dc_at_genunix.com