Re: Status of IDN support?

From: dev_user <dev_at_cor0.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 21:37:26 +0000

On 01/10/2017 09:20 PM, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just checking, but after the switch to libidn2 it was suggested to disable
> IDN support because reasons (can't remember right now, but probably bugs),
> and so I did in the Debian packages.
>
> Is it safe to re-enable it now?

Just hold on a week or so as there is a LOT of activity in the libidn
world and libidn2 ver 0.14 is in alpha right now with a lot of testing
happening. I think Simon was looking at a release "real soon now(tm)"
and from a few days ago we see :

--- from the libidn mailist and Simon Josefsson et al re 0.14 ---

* APIs more like libidn's that take a full domain name and do proper
   operations on them. In several forms, UTF-8, USC-32, locale encoded,
   etc.

* APIs to decode a IDNA2008 domain from ACE to Unicode format. That is
   not described by the IDNA2008 RFCs, interestingly enough, but I
   suspect people will want it, hah!

Eventually maybe we could get curl to link to libidn2 for IDNA2008+TR46.
If they want that. They have to figure out whether they want IDNA2003
or IDNA2008. Or both. It could be a switch. 'curl --idna2003
fußball.de' or 'curl --idna2008 fußball.de' or 'curl --idna2008tr46
fußball.de' or 'curl --idna2008tr46traditional' fußball.de'. 'curl
fußball.de' could toss a coin to decide.

So just hang on there a few days as this needs a bit more wring out as
it is alpha right now.

Dennis Clarke
dc_at_genunix.com