Re: Status of IDN support?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 15:23:05 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017, Tim Rühsen wrote:

> The _ul lookup assumes that your input string is encoded with the current
> locale. But if your string is already UTF-8, you should use the _u8
> function.
>
> I don't know how curl works internally, but it seems to be UTF-8...

As I mentioned in the PR Alessandro opened[*]: libcurl doesn't assume anything
on the input string really, other than it being a C string. Since the string
comes from the application, in some cases from the tool curl, the encoding is
probable locale dependent.

I figure that means that on most "normal" operating systems and environments
that means UTF-8. But on Windows for example, I don't think it'll be as
common.

Or am I wrong?

[*] = https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/1212