RE: proposed changes for winbuild makefile

From: Kees Dekker <Kees.Dekker_at_infor.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 09:28:53 +0000

Anyhow, the MakefileBuild.vc is fairly complex (IMO too complex). This is because the name of the target depends at runtime whether a DLL or static curl library is built. I don’t have time now to fix this all, but normally (similar to UNIX makefiles) you get what you ask, i.e. targets for all things exist, and you will build what you want. For that reason, creating the DLL by using the static library will greatly simplify the makefile and remove a lot of the !IF constructs. Unfortunately, Visual studio also produces an import library (a stub to use the DLL) when making a DLL.

I discovered another bug in my previous patch. When passing -L<openssllibdir> etc, all objects from the openSSL (and zlib and libssh2 etc) are aggregated in the libcurl_a.lib. This has been fixed in attached patch. If working with a patch is a problem, I will try to see how I can make a github pull request. Sorry for this new diff. I also removed some more duplicate variable assignment. The MakefileBuild.vc is not funny stuff to read and understand (but UNIX makefiles can be complex too).

Kees