Re: curl_http_post: Debug data usage

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 16:23:54 +0100

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 01:26:09PM +0000, Kman Devnull wrote:
> Further to the below email, just wanted to check on how to debug using Curl the
> data usage.
>
> Is there a curl_option/something that could help debug the data usage.

You can retrieve some statistics using curl_easy_info and you can capture
traces with CURLOPT_DEBUGFUNCTION. But, that won't include SSL, TCP, IP or 3G
overhead. Most of that is tracked at the OS level on the network interface (see
ifconfig).

> Currently my data usage using curl_http post is 3MB per day. I honestly don't
> believe that my IoT sensor is sending so much data across.

How often is this sensor sending data? It could easy use that much if it's
sending just a 10 byte payload once every minute from the overhead of a full SSL
handshake plus an additional authentication handshake each time.

>>> Dan