RE: proposed changes for winbuild makefile

From: Rod Widdowson <rdw_at_steadingsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 16:00:50 -0000

> Is this a question to me to provide information to the help text?

It’s a suggestion to you to do so. With the hope that if someone out there thinks it a bad idea they'll chime in.

> (Note that this is the first time I was involved in this mailing list, I don't
> know the procedure how a fix/patch get applied.

I'm not very loud on this list either, but Daniel asked someone to jump in, so I did. I'm hoping that all the lurking Windows users out there and/or Daniel will eventually chime in. I can't provide more of a steer, but it seems like "a compelling case" is a good way to get a patch committed.

But as Daniel said elsewhere recently, the silence is deafening. If we add the BASE_NAME stuff, the changes you propose would work well for me and I cannot see that it would break any existing user - if you believe my line that "what's in the help text will be backwards compatible, nothing else is guaranteed.

/Rod