Re: proposed changes for winbuild makefile

From: Ray Satiro via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 02:58:51 -0500

On 1/30/2017 5:18 AM, Rod Widdowson wrote:
> To summarise:
>
> The proposal is to move several internal parameterizations to do with the names and sources of various LIBS onto the command line and document them - making their use "supported" in some way. This will be backwards compatible with this particular flavour of building on windows
>
> I might even be able to help Kees turn his patch (which current reads as a replacement) into a string of patches in a PR.
>
> However I'm not going to spend a second further on this problem unless I get a strong feeling that anyone else cares and (more importantly) that, once I have wasted all that time, they won't start caring enough to throw up roadblocks.

I suspect there's a fair amount of people using winbuild and for most of
them it just works. I wouldn't expect to hear anything from 99% of them
unless it stops working, because that's usually the way it goes. If you
have a PR you want to submit that will improve winbuild then that's
great, but I doubt anyone can (or should) give you a guarantee that your
work will get in without any friction. We are all reviewed by our peers
and we adjust. Changes may be and often are requested. Or maybe an idea
is a bad or implementation is bad or it just shouldn't be added.

Concerning the patch I did not review it however what was ultimately
proposed in 1201 [1] I think seems to make a lot of sense. None of the
points in the post are very objectionable, they are all improvements and
bugfixes. However this mailing list thread then went on and more was
proposed, and it seems like the whole thing is snowballing into a rewrite.

We need support for OpenSSL 1.1.0 libraries, and so I think the ability
to override the variables on the command line seems like a good idea.
Changing the static library to roll up all the dependencies in one big
library I think is a bad idea.

[1]: https://github.com/curl/curl/issues/1201#issuecomment-272414475