Re: On the usefulness of --disable-verbose

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 22:42:59 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017, joris.valette_at_engie.com wrote:

> I can't really see a use case where it's better to return "Error" instead of
> "Unsupported protocol", "URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL" etc.

That build option is primarily there to reduce footprint, not to increase the
experience in any other way.

> Should --disable-verbose be removed from configure?

I think you should rather debate with the people who build libcurl for you and
ask them to not use it if you want the verbose strings to be present.

We have a bunch of configure options that remove various functionality. They
all of course need to be used with some amount of care and consideration.

I'm not convinced that removing these abilities is aligned with our users
interests.