Re[2]: Static libcurl size under Windows

From: Konstantin Vlasov <flint_at_flint-inc.ru>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:08:46 +0300

Hi, Jan.

> Konstantin Vlasov in gmane.comp.web.curl.library (Wed, 19 Apr 2017
> 21:38:45 +0300):
>>nmake /f Makefile.vc mode=static WITH_SSL=static DEBUG=no MACHINE=x86 WITH_DEVEL=C:\Programs\OpenSSL\x32 ENABLE_SSPI=no ENABLE_WINSSL=no
>>
>>It produced libcurl_a.lib with size of 21 Mb! I tried the same with 7.52.1 (the
>>last version with lib/Makefile.vc* so that I could compare), and it produced the
>>same huge file, so it's not the difference between 7.52.1/7.54.0, but some
>>difference in build procedures.
>>
>>So, my questions are:
>>1. Why are the resultant files so hugely different?

> What is the size of your libeay32.lib & ssleay32.lib files?

Good spot! Indeed, they are 16,9 and 2,4 Mb (I use OpenSSL 1.1.0, so the names
are libssl.lib and libcrypto.lib).

So it means that the winbuild procedure merges the OpenSSL libs into libcurl,
while the old procedure does not. And the question is, how to avoid it...

--
Bye.                                    With best regards,
                                        Konstantin Vlasov.