Re[2]: Static libcurl size under Windows

From: Konstantin Vlasov <flint_at_flint-inc.ru>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 18:43:32 +0300

Hi, Marcus.

> On 20.04.2017 16:57, Konstantin Vlasov wrote:
>> I need static libcurl.lib which uses static OpenSSL but does NOT contain it as
>> part of itself. Otherwise I would get link errors (symbol conflicts) when
>> building VirtualBox with both libcurl AND openssl. The first scenario gave me
>> exactly what I needed, but now in 7.54.0 it is deprecated. How do I get that
>> type of libcurl.lib now?

> I'm mostly familiar with the linking process on Linux but it shouldn't
> conceptually be much different on Windows.

> When statically linking to some libraries the linker only picks the
> object files that are needed by the final program out of every static
> library it encounters. [1]

> So it shouldn't matter at all how big your intermediate .lib files are.

> Best wishes,
> Marcus

> [1] i.e.:
> http://eli.thegreenplace.net/2013/07/09/library-order-in-static-linking

I would expect this too, but I already had linking problems when I first
attempted building VirtualBox with static OpenSSL (it was long ago). When I
switched to it from dynamic version, I immediately hit a problem that one of the
VBox internal libraries (VBoxRT.lib, I think) was first built using OpenSSL and
embedded it into itself (just like libcurl.lib now does), and then this
VBoxRT.lib was linking to something else along with OpenSSL, and linker treated
it as error that there were identical symbols in different input libraries.

I'm not 100% sure why that happened - maybe, it's wrong linker flags, or
something like that. VBox is quite a large project and it's very hard to track
down build errors like that. I could not solve it that time and had to return
back to dynamic version. Later they somehow fixed that problem so I could
finally switch to static OpenSSL.

Maybe it's worth trying to build VB with that huge libcurl and see what
happens... But I wanted to check out what's happenning with libcurl first.

--
Bye.                                    With best regards,
                                        Konstantin Vlasov.