Keeping your clone in sync (was Re: minor issue with build)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 15:18:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017, Michael Felt wrote:

> p.s. - Once upon a time I cloned curl (at least I think I did) - what is the
> correct way to update that, ideally via the command line (question may also
> be ignored as it is a git thing, not curl).

You can find many guides for this on the web, and the github version is here:
https://help.github.com/articles/syncing-a-fork/

I'll however offer you a simplified version, especially if you don't have any
local changes of your own in the cloned master branch (which I think is a good
habit anyway, do your changes in new branches instead):

  $ cd root/of/clone/directory
  $ git pull --rebase

(in my case I have an alias for pull --rebase called "up" so I just run "git
up" to get my local master in sync with the remote master)

It actually even works *with* local changes but will then rebase them for you,
which you might want to be a bit careful with.