Re: What to ask ourselves this year?

From: Alex Bligh via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 15:18:37 +0200

> On 5 May 2017, at 09:02, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
>
> A) Should we allow discussions in github issues (and not only bugs) ?
>
> B) Have you ever decided NOT to write to the project with an idea or a
> topic because of the need to use a mailing list for that?
>
> The problem with (A) is of course that I still wouldn't want to mix discussions and bugs in the same tracker, so we would still need to steer people to the right place. (Presumably a separate repo within the curl org for that specific purpose.) And I really can't ask about specifics like that...
>
> The problem with (B) is that even if you'd say YES doesn't necessarily mean that the user would've submitted said idea/topic any other way either. Also, it feels like a question lots of people can answer YES to, but maybe it is good to have a small bar so that people think twice before submitting?
>
> Ideas?

I think those as presented have other failings too:

A) sounds a bit like 'would you like to free the citizens from the evil tyranny that prevents them accessing the free world of Github?'

B) is a pretty high bar.

One could still prefer one over the other (full disclosure - I like mailing lists for things like this)

How about something more neutral like:

C) We handle discussions about bugs in the Github issue tracker. For issues other than bugs, we currently use the mailing list. Which would be your preference for conversations about issues other than bugs in the future:
i) continue using the mailing list
ii) use Github to track the discussion (perhaps segregated somehow from bugs)
iii) other
iv) don't care

--
Alex Bligh