Re: soname different

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 08:46:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 1 Jun 2017, Ray Satiro via curl-library wrote:

>> configure has code that checks the size of off_t and compares it to
>> the size of curl_off_t, and if they differ it bumps that API number.
>> But that shouldn't happen on any modern or normal platform...
>
> In case you missed it he's building a version from 6 years ago, so that may
> have something to do with it.

Ah, right, thanks for highlighting that fact! But I think the same logic
actually applied already back then. The "bump ABI" logic [1] in the configure
script was added in August 2008 when we changed how we determine the
curl_off_t type and was intended to be a sort of safefety belt for the rare
platforms where that transition risked causing an ABI incompatibility.

I don't think we've ever heard from anyone who actually needed this bump.

[1] = https://github.com/curl/curl/blob/master/configure.ac#L3157-L3162