Re: persistent connections and dns changes

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 12:29:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017, Justin Karneges wrote:

> What may be best here is a persistent connection maximum time. Maybe this
> could be a new option, with a large default value like 24 hours? This way
> connections will eventually get unstuck in a reasonable period of time
> (reasonable in server migration terms).

Yes, that feels like a decent middle way to me.

> I'm wondering if I could implement in this behavior in our app without
> needing to modify libcurl, by using a multi instance per domain, and
> destroying a multi instance after it's been around for the maximum time. Is
> it efficient to have lots of multi instances? Right now we have just one
> master multi instance.

There's really no problem with having multiple multi handles from libcurl's
perspective.

The problem you might get is with driving the transfers. Doing multiple multi
interface transfers in a single thread would either require you to call
curl_multi_perform() on all handles as soon as one has traffic, or you'd need
to somehow remember which handle is responsible for which file descriptors...