Help with using HTTP2 in libcurl from PHP 7

From: Scott Moser <scott_at_caretraxx.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 01:54:47 +0000

Hi Everyone,

I’m trying to enable HTTP2 for libcurl use within PHP 7 code. I’ve successfully compiled OpenSSL (version 1.0.2l), nghttp2 (version 1.23.1) and curl (version 7.54.0). When I run curl -V from the command line, I get the following:

curl 7.54.0 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.54.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2l nghttp2/1.23.1
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps pop3 pop3s rtsp smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: IPv6 Largefile NTLM NTLM_WB SSL TLS-SRP HTTP2 UnixSockets HTTPS-proxy

which is exactly what I want - HTTP2 is enabled. However, when I run phpinfo() from either CLI or Apache, php reports no support for HTTP2 but shows the correct version of curl and OpenSSL.

I feel like it’s an inconsistency in shared library versions but have reconfirmed their consistency several times. I’m hoping not to need a PHP recompile and, instead am expecting that PHP’s curl.so will work with my new version of libcurl.so.4.4.0

My operating environment is: Redhat Enterprise Linux 7, Apache 2.4

Thanks in advance for your help!

Scott Moser