Re: "OPTIONS *" with curl and libcurl

From: Alex Bligh via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 09:17:51 +0200

> On 20 Jun 2017, at 00:40, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2017, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>
>> In curl 7.55.0 we finally introduce a way for users to send “OPTION *” and similar requests to servers.
>>
>> https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2017/06/19/options-with-curl/
>
> ... I like the suggestion I got as a comment there, to instead allow this operation with a --request-target option (and of course the matching underlying libcurl option). So I've now filed a new PR and I'm interested in further input:
>
> https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/1593
>
> To me, --request-target is cleaner and easier to understand and document.

--request-target is IMHO clearly clearer (sic) and we should go with it.

I worry slightly about removing a released option.

I also worry about the process failure whereby this was discussed on the list at least twice, many months apart, and we didn't come up with such an obvious option.

--
Alex Bligh