Adding new unit tests for coverage

From: Max Dymond via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 09:53:32 +0000

Hi all,

Now that there's coverage stats, I'm eager to add some unit tests for parts of the project that don't currently have any coverage.

From https://github.com/curl/curl/blob/master/tests/README, one of the requirements is that you have Python. Is it therefore allowed to write test servers in Python? My Perl is pretty non-existent at this point!

Also, what's the policy on using third party executables to provide test functionality - is that something that should be encouraged or should it be a last resort? My gut feeling would be that requiring more dependencies is bad for testing, so trying to keep tests "in-house" is better.

(The specific case I'm thinking of is for the DICT protocol, which currently has 0% coverage - there are a number of open source servers available, but a simple server could be created in Python to provide a very simplified DICT server)

Thanks,
Max