Reducing windows compiler warnings

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 00:57:48 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I could use some help here!

I'd like to reduce, or ideally remove all, compiler warnings in our Travis CI
builds for Windows so that we can switch on "warnings as errors" and thus
better detect when we rock the boat. Having github turn pull-requests red is
such a handy tool for helping us get stellar work already before merging to
master.

The primary CI build for this is using cmake and MSVC, and I noticed two main
problems: 1) inet_pton() causes warnings and 2) sread/swrite do as well.

Problem 1:

I've tried (but failed) top address here:

https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/1639

... but even then, the build generates inet_pton warnings, like here:

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/curlorg/curl/build/7.50.0.5120/job/udjiikpya8gykxqo

But I don't understand why. Isn't the inet_pton() proto in winsock2.h on
windows?

Problem 2:

This is cmake not detecting the arguments to recv and send properly, which
I've described in a new issue:

https://github.com/curl/curl/issues/1640

Problem 3:

I don't know yet but I bet there's some more detail to fix before all warnings
are completely gone! =)