Using libcurl causes application to stop waking up threads

From: <sean.donohue_at_panalytical.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 18:10:35 +0200

Hi, I'm using libcurl to post messages to an nginx server using the http stream module on an embedded Linux system. Basically, all I'm doing now is a curl_easy with "Hello World!" to http://localhost/pub?id=chan1. The first time I run curl_easy_perform, everything seems to work perfectly: the client application is able to read the message from the stream. My application however starts having issues. Many of the threads stop waking up for a few minutes but I don't see the CPU usage of my application increase from its normal level of ~20%. This leads me to believe libcurl is doing something with a bunch of system calls that is taking time away from my application. Keep in mind I'm running this on a single core 600MHz ARM, so I'm not sure if that is enough horsepower to run libcurl. That said, I tried changing my application to use system calls to curl instead (system("curl -s -v -X POST 'http://localhost/pub?id=chan1' -d 'Hello World');) and that works perfectly. Is there anything wrong with the way I have libcurl configured that could cause this?