Re: SONAME

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 19:22:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017, Zakrzewski, Jakub wrote:

Hey, welcome to history hour in which I'll explain some archaic stuff from
this project's past... =)

> First, the comment suggests that the configure script can make a decision if
> the SONAME should be bumped. I haven't found any code supporting that
> statement.

It used to be able to, but I removed that logic not too long ago. Mostly
because I don't think it was ever used. In fact, I don't think the manual
bumping has ever been used either...

> Second: unless I'm that stupid (entirely possible), the bump here does not
> adhere to the guide (the comment). The current version will produce
> libcurl.so.4.4.0, the bumped one libcurl.so.5.4.0 instead of expected
> libcurl.so.5.0.0.

I'd agree. I suppose that too shows that it hasn't been used.

> The third thing is the message at the configure summary:
>> SONAME bump: yes - WARNING: this library will be built with the SONAME
>> number bumped due to (a detected) ABI breakage.
>> See lib/README.curl_off_t for details on this.
>
> ?I haven't found the mentioned file lib/README.curl_off_t.

That file was moved into the INTERNALS.md document a while ago, so the comment
is clearly wrong.

The logic tried to detect systems where the previous logic and the current
logic would detect different 'curl_off_t' sizes so that the libs would end up
with differen ABIs. I think we can now safely say that that logic is now water
under the bridge and there won't be any automatic bump and most certainly no
manual bump either...