Re: Regarding Error - OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL

From: Ray Satiro via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 01:29:16 -0400

On 8/31/2017 3:29 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>> ** OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to
>> 10.193.70.83:443
>
> That's an error code returned from OpenSSL's SSL_connect() function. I
> presume that happens because something bad happens.

During negotiation a server may close the connection unclean if it is
overloaded or there are no ciphers in common with the client, resulting
in that error. For some older servers it also may happen if the
ClientHello is too large for it to understand or it only accepts TLS
1.0. Here's something I've seen work before for older servers:

curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_SSLVERSION, CURL_SSLVERSION_TLSv1_0);
curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_SSL_CIPHER_LIST, "DES-CBC3-SHA");

If you're using OpenSSL 1.1 review these instead:
https://github.com/curl/curl/issues/1520#issuecomment-306250895
https://github.com/curl/curl/issues/1316#issuecomment-285779700

Otherwise you'll have to break out wireshark and figure it out!