Does the source tree need to be clean for an out-of-source cmake build?

From: Ray Satiro via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 01:36:35 -0400

In Windows I have a source tree that I used to build curl using mingw
with the build tree the same as the source tree, X:\j\curl\curl_mingw.
curl_config.h was output to X:\j\curl\curl_mingw\lib\curl_config.h. I
thought I could use that same source tree to build curl by using cmake
with an out-of-source build tree, but it includes the autotools
curl_config.h output from srcdir/lib since that comes before
builddir/lib in the include order. Here's the actual order:

X:\j\curl\cmake\include\curl;
X:\j\curl\curl_mingw\include;
X:\j\curl\cmake\lib\..\include;
X:\j\curl\curl_mingw\lib\..;
X:\j\curl\curl_mingw\lib\..\include;
X:\j\curl\cmake\lib\..;
X:\j\curl\curl_mingw\lib;      <--- curl_config.h from autotools is here
X:\j\curl\cmake\lib;      <--- curl_config.h from cmake is here

My question is, is this expected? I thought if I did an out-of-source
build tree that it would not use build files from the source tree.