Re: Undefined reference to pThread issue with 7.55.1

From: Ray Satiro via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 14:16:28 -0400

On 9/25/2017 9:52 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2017, Dan Heinz wrote:
>
>> Adding -pthread to the compiler options of the test app fixes the
>> issue, but I never needed to do this before (we've been using curl
>> for years).

>> I see one difference is --enable-threaded-resolver is defaulted to
>> on. Unfortunately, there is a bug where I cannot turn it off (without
>> the patch).  I'm curious if I am on the right track here with the
>> issue?  Could it be due to the threaded resolver being on?
>
> Right, we switched to threaded resolver by default now so you need to
> switch that off if you want to stick to the older synchronous way, or
> use c-ares.
>
> But OpenSSL 1.1.x also requires pthreads now so that my be a second
> reason.

Daniel when you use --enable-debug do the unit tests build successfully?
Just now I built in Ubuntu from master with --enable-debug and OpenSSL
1.0.2 but it failed building the unit tests:

/usr/bin/ld: ../../lib/.libs/libcurlu.a(libcurlu_la-curl_threads.o):
undefined reference to symbol 'pthread_join@@GLIBC_2.2.5'
//lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: error adding symbols: DSO
missing from command line

--enable-pthreads makes no difference but LIBS=-lpthread works.

.