Re: Building Curl for windows x64 using Visual Studio 2017 Community version

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 11:05:04 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018, Aharon Tam via curl-library wrote:

> I suggest that these 5-steps should be automated somehow in winbuild folder
> or add these steps as an alternative in the BUILD.WINDOWS.txt file
> underneath it.

Thanks for these steps.

We lack a single entry point in the documentation for "build curl on Windows"
that clearly explains the available options and how to find the descriptions
for each way.

We have at least three different ways (down from four a few years ago) to
build on windows (winbuild makefiles, cmake and autotools) and they're all
being used and they all have their pros and cons.

The winbuild/ directory is for building curl with MSVS using the provided
makefiles in that directory - that's why it doesn't mention the cmake build.

The docs/INSTALL.md is the universal "this is how we build curl"
documentation, but it lacks many Windows details.

As always: we'll appreciate help to update the docs in this area!