NTLM v2 Authentication with 7.58.0

From: Paul D Rotter <pdrotter_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 15:16:31 +0000

Hello,

Platform: Windows (Server 2008, 2012, 2016)

Tool Chain: Visual Studio 2005

I recently upgraded our product to use libCurl version from 7.52.1 to
7.58.0 and during testing noticed that our NTLM authentication was broken.

After reviewing the source changes I found a change that seems to be the
root cause in config-win32.h:

7.52.1:

/* Define to use the Windows crypto library. */

#if !defined(USE_OPENSSL) && !defined(USE_NSS)

#define USE_WIN32_CRYPTO

#endif

7.58.0:

#define USE_WIN32_CRYPTO

We define USE_OPENSSL in our project, so USE_WIN32_CRYPTO has always been
off as we do use OpenSSL. The problem with USE_WIN32_CRYPTO being
unconditionally defined is it results in USE_NTLM2SESSION not being
defined in curl_ntlm_core.h:

#if defined(USE_NTRESPONSES) && !defined(USE_WIN32_CRYPTO)

#define USE_NTLM2SESSION

#endif

Was this change by design?

Is there another mechanism for enabling NTLM v2 in 7.58.0?

Thank for your help,

Paul