Re: Some application distributes your library, without your copyright notice?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 08:47:05 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018, Genghuang Wang wrote:

> When I download some application and install it, your library is found in
> its installation directory, but your copyright notice is missing.

Thank you for reporting this!

Not shipping/including the license/copyright in the application or its
associated documentation is a license violation and that makes them not
allowed to use the code.

I think the best thing we can do about it is to highlight those who forget to
do the right thing and to remind everyone that this very small step is the
only thing we request when we give away a rock solid internet transfer library
for free for everyone.

We as a project almost complete lack teeth to actually do anything about
license violators though so we don't have much legal means to go after the
offenders.

As engineers, I think it is within our obligations to help out and strive to
make our applications and software follow the respective licenses of the open
source we use and rely on.