Re: Wait for a response using curl_multi_wait

From: Richard Copley <rcopley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 18:59:45 +0000

On 21 March 2018 at 18:44, Richard Alcock <richard.alcock_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 March 2018 at 14:35, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Mar 2018, Cunningham, Joel wrote:
> >
> >> 1) Make the new API behave just poll/select, i.e. it can be used as a
> >> blocking construct even when there are no input FDs.
>
> > An alternative design could be to add a curl_multi_setopt() option that
> > changes how curl_multi_wait() behaves, but I figure that is slightly more
> > subtle...
>
> +1 on making it like poll/select. As recent new user to
> curl_multi_wait the example in the doc confused the hell out of me.
> Ended up copying it "just because it was there" which is entirely
> unsatisfying!

I hate to be negative, and I don't want to start a pointless argument. I
think I've already said that I admire this software very much.
So, please forgive me for saying it, and accept my apologies if I'm being
stupid, but ...

In the PR, curl_multi_poll isn't polling or selecting. It just moves the
sleep from user code into the library, where the user has no control over
it.
Did I miss something?