Re: CURLINFO_SPEED_DOWNLOAD_T not working

From: Ray Satiro <raysatiro_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 15:17:54 -0400

On 3/31/2018 3:42 AM, David L. wrote:
> I have a couple questions about CURLINFO_SPEED_DOWNLOAD_T.
>
> First, I don't understand the example in the documentation:
> https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/CURLINFO_SPEED_DOWNLOAD_T.html
>
> The output seems to go into curl_off_t speed but then it is not
> referenced in the printf statement. Where does "ul" come from?
>
> Second, when I tried to use this function the returned value was
> negative. How is that possible? If it wasn't supported, I should have
> gotten CURLE_UNKNOWN_OPTION  (48), right? My downloaded completed and
> was very fast (downloading from my LAN). I used the curl_easy_perform
> function to perform the download.

The examples in the CURLINFO_*_T documentation were wrong. Fixed in
cbc0f13 [1].

If CURLINFO_SPEED_DOWNLOAD_T is not available in the include headers
(avail since 7.55.0) then a program that needs it should fail to compile
due to missing symbol. However, it is possible to build with one set of
include headers and then your program actually loads a different shared
version of libcurl. If that version were older than 7.55.0 then in that
case getinfo would return CURLE_UNKNOWN_OPTION (48) or
CURLE_BAD_FUNCTION_ARGUMENT (43) depending on how old the version.

Does it only happen with a specific website? What happens if you use
http://example.com? Can you give us your printf("%s\n", curl_version());
and a minimal example that we can use to reproduce?

[1]: https://github.com/curl/curl/commit/cbc0f13