Re: is anyone using winbuild and Visual Studio 6?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 14:41:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2018, Kees Dekker wrote:

> Is anyone still using Visual Studio 6 for the cURL winbuild\Makefiles?

As upset users occasionally tell me a few years after I've changed something
based on a question and lack of response on the mailing lists: we can never
really know. I mean if you're lucky you get a few "yes!" and then you know
someone is, but a lack of response is an annoyingly weak "no" indicator...

We can however make logical and reasonable changes that we think make sense
and still cover what we believe are all/most "sensible" use cases.

> That case is probably useful for the case that multiple/different visual
> studio versions are used to compile the same cURL code base, using the
> winbuild method. But is anyone using this?

That sounds like a very narrow use case. And if they do, people can easily
just wipe the directories before rebuilds.

> I don't know what policy applies in *NIX land about (very) old compilers?

That's a very different nature. On *nix systems, we never deprecate compilers.
You can build curl with any C compiler that supports C89. curl still builds
and runs on some very ancient systems that by default stock amazingly old and
quirky compilers...

But its also not any particular extra support effort on our behalf to do this.