Re: Old Curl Project

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 10:26:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 17 May 2018, Don Landsom wrote:

> I'm new here and was hoping to learn more about Curl in the attempts to
> breath some life into an old project until it can be brought up to date
> through a complete overhaul.

You're most welcome!

> Not looking to take too big of a leap hear as everything is to be replaced
> so I searched to find the closest possible Curl release support SMPT which
> appears to be Curl-7.20.0.

SMTP support was initially added in 7.20.0, yes. But it has also been polished
and bugfixed over the years so I would not recommend using the first public
version supporting it. I think it had a few rough edges still for some
releases.

In general you won't gain much by doing a small upgrade compared to a big
upgrade. If you instead jump to the head of the line at 7.60.0, you'll get our
attention and support if you have problems or questions. Not so much for
7.20.0, which is over 8 years old by now.

The API and behavior *should* still be the same as it was back in the 7.13.0
days!

Also note that 7.20.0 has a few known security vulnerabilities:

   https://curl.haxx.se/docs/vuln-7.20.0.html

> The current application is running VB6 using the dll wrapper VBLibCurl 1.0,
> so the big question is whether this wrapper can be interfaced with
> Curl-7.20.0.

I would imagine that building stuff on such old legacy systems is a pain in
general.