Re: CoAP support in libcurl for the Internet of Things

From: Olaf Bergmann <bergmann_at_tzi.org>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 11:18:01 +0200

Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> writes:

> On Tue, 8 May 2018, Olaf Bergmann wrote:
>
> I clicked "version 4.1.2" [...] and landed
> on [a virtually] blank page.

Yes, that's the starting point where I have said that "it has improved
from", and help is underway.

> This makes it tricky for a casual observer such as myself to figure
> out and learn how the API works so that I can get an image how hard it
> would be to incorporate into something like libcurl.

Yes.

>> The current development branch that is intended to become the next
>> major release soon already has a good amount of manual pages that
>> document the API. The web site re-factoring and user guide writing
>> are in progress.
>
> So this new good documentation is not available online yet?

I did not say "good" but improved. The development branch where the next
release is being worked hard on now has good API documentation. It
currently lives here: https://github.com/obgm/libcoap

(There is a technical reason for libcoap.net currently being very
outdated which has been discussed elsewhere.)

>>> It is also yet another dependency that relies on its own TLS library, which
>>> seems to mostly be OpenSSL on posix systems.
>>
>> libcoap comes with an interface to enable intergration of different TLS
>> libraries. For now, these are OpenSSL and tinyDTLS, but GnuTLS
>> integration is in development as well.
>
> Cool, but may still offer a challenge for the libcurl build setup.

Yes, I agree. When I did the first PoC, I did not have the TLS code
ready, so I honestly do not know how hard (or easy) this will be.

> Do you run it through coverity or another static analyzer frequently?

Yes, (coverity). That's why it has the badge.

> I think you should consider -Werror on your travis builds and fix
> those build warnings you have.

Fixing them, yes, -Werror, no.

> I would encourage you to do what it takes to get a badge here:
>
> https://bestpractices.coreinfrastructure.org

Thank you for your kind advice. I think the most important question Remy
wanted to ask is whether or not it would be useful to invest time into
doing whatever it takes to add CoAP support to libcurl. It would be
great if you had advice here as well.

Thanks
Olaf