Re: Assigning "sub maintainers" for Windows and cmake!

From: René Berber <rene.berber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 13:30:33 -0500

On 5/23/2018 1:13 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

[snip]
> I'm more concerned about problems with code that is well used and that
> we get issues and PRs filed about, but there's no maintainer around to
> give solid advice, merge code etc for.

Exactly the main point. Porting (to Windows in this case) is the main
issue, building environments is secondary and, since many work fine, not
even an important issue.

Like many others have said for their case... I use MXE, which is a
cross-build environment that usually targets Windows, their maintainers
(and users) keep track of what works, and if not, what's needed, usually
small patches. If one of those patches did change curl's source, it
will be sent upstream (trying to keep things as clean as possible in MXE
itself).

So this is a use case that uses Unix/Linux tools (also can be used under
Cygwin/Windows, or OSX) and gets results. Currently for curl it uses
the configure way, but it can use cmake (and it does for other
packages). Side note: it has the advantage that you can further
customize your build, I use my own curl+cares recipe.

--
R. Berber