Build problems with DLL vs static

From: dp <couldabin_at_excite.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 13:26:57 -0400

I am still struggling with building a DLL version of libcurl using VC10. I am working in Windows XP/SP3, curl 7.59.0, and have OpenSSL 1.0.2 installed. After emptying the "build" folder, I build curl two different ways:

nmake /f Makefile.vc mode=dll VC=10 WITH_SSL=dll
nmake /f Makefile.vc mode=static VC=10 WITH_SSL=dll

Both builds complete successfully. I then compile my test program two ways -- first using libcurl.lib (found in libcurl-vc10-x86-release-dll-ssl-dll-ipv6-sspi\lib) , and then libcurl_a.lib (found in libcurl-vc10-x86-release-static-ssl-dll-ipv6-sspi\lib). In the test program, I first call curl_easy_init(), which succeeds, and then curl_version_info(CURLVERSION_NOW). Here are the differences in the return values:

age: dll=CURLVERSION_FOURTH; static=CURLVERSION_FIFTH
version: dll=7.35.0; static=7.59.0
host: dll=Windows; static=i386-pc-win32
ssl_version: dll=NULL; static=OpenSSL/1.0.2n
libz_version: dll=1.2.8; static=NULL

Is the difference in versions expected? Also, SSL is not being added to the dll version, even though the CL commandline includes /DUSE_OPENSSL and /I"../../deps/include/openssl". I'm also puzzled by the inclusion of zlib in the DLL version, since it wasn't requested. Am I doing something wrong?