Re: should we really offer axTLS support ?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 11:18:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 2 Jun 2018, Patrick Monnerat wrote:

> IMHO this should be examined on a case by case basis like Daniel does for
> axTLS, and not be limited by a "checklist".

Relatedly, I could add that in private emails with some people I've already
been "highly skeptical" of proposals wanting to merge code adapted to work
with proprietary (non-FOSS licensed) TLS libraries. The reasoning then is
similar but with a slightly different angle:

1 - we can't easily test/debug curl against such libraries. And by "we" I then
mean anyone in the curl community who can build and run curl, I don't consider
"but we can send a few people a copy of the software" a sustainable model.

2 - I find it odd that we would take on maintainance of code used solely to
benefit a single commercial entity, for free!