Re: CII Best practices

From: Sean MacLennan <seanm_at_seanm.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 19:22:47 -0400

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 13:50:54 +0200 (CEST)
Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> 1. The project SHOULD have a legal mechanism where all developers of
> non-trivial amounts of project software assert that they are legally
> authorized to make these contributions.
>
> - This seems to basically require Signed-off-by: in every commit and
> that we host a file saying so. Personally I don't feel that we need
> to start requiring S-O-B lines so I'm leaning towards keeping this
> 'unmet'.

I'm not sure this would be much of a hassle. Yes, at first you are
going to have to send a lot of "great patch, please add a SOB line",
but I think developers are getting used to these.

I know developers who have a SOB automagically attached to every git
commit whether they need it or not. Coding standards tend to be much
more contentious than this ;)

I would at least try it for a bit. If people refuse to submit patches
because of the policy, rethink it then.

Cheers,
   Sean