Re: Build issues for curl/libcurl > 7.53.1 on OpenServer 5.0.7

From: Kevin R. Bulgrien <kevinb_at_systemsdesignusa.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 17:50:20 -0500 (CDT)

> In case it's relevant, my full build environment is more like:
>
> ACCEPT_INFERIOR_RM_PROGRAM=yes
> CPATH=/csdi/admin/kevinb/include
> CFLAGS=-static
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/csdi/admin/kevinb/lib/pkgconfig
> CC=/csdi/admin/kevinb/bin/gcc-3.4.6
>
> $ CC= CFLAGS= ./configure --without-zlib --disable-threaded-resolver
> -C --prefix="${HOME}" --enable-shared --enable-static
>
> I haven't built zlib for this platform as of yet, and I have not
> filled the threaded resolver dependencies either. )

Rounding out the environment description, I should explain more about
__GNUC__ being defined:

$ which cc
/bin/cc

gcc is PATHed before cc.

$ which gcc-3.4.6
/csdi/admin/kevinb/bin/gcc-3.4.6
$ gcc-3.4.6 --version
gcc-3.4.6 (GCC) 3.4.6
$ which gcc
/usr/gnu/bin/gcc
$ gcc --version
2.95.3

gcc 2.95.3 was built by the vendor, whereas I built gcc 3.4.6, and
I've had a bit of better luck with the vendor-built gcc for some
builds, so I've tended to use it "first". More than likely this
is simply due to my not having it built, installed, or something,
in enough of a typical or standard manner.

The system vendor-supplied packages most relating to this development
are:

  Extended Shells (ver 1.4.1Ab)
  GNU Development Tools (ver 5.0.7Kj)
  GNU Development Tools (ver 5.0.7g)
  SCO OpenServer Development System (ver 5.2.0Aa)
  OSS672A - OpenServer 5 Network Header File Update (ver 1.0.0)
  SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7 Maintenance Pack 5 (ver 1.0.0Mc)

I actually have multiple libcurl on my system. That's why CFLAGS
is odd. To build the binary, I use CFLAGS=-static, and to build
the library, I use CFLAGS= as I don't know how to build a static
library and a shared library while linking the curl binary to the
static library. I use a static link to avoid having to resolve
issues with vendor-supplied libraries.

--
Kevin R. Bulgrien, Network/Software Engineer
http://www.systemsdesignusa.com