Re: DNS Lookup time (CURLINFO_NAMELOOKUP_TIME) performs worse than getaddrinfo()

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 08:25:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018, Philip Prindeville wrote:

> Just pointing out that libevent provides evdns_getaddrinfo() as an
> asynchronous resolution API with a callback, so if you’re linking with
> libevent you have a fourth choice (potentially).

The three ways I listed are the existing alternatives supported in code since
a long time back.

Adding new ways to resolve host names could certainly be interesting,
especially if you already use a library such as ev that already provides such
a function.

There's also the coming support for DoH, which adds yet another way:
https://github.com/curl/curl/wiki/DOH-implementation

> It doesn’t provide reciprocal getnameinfo() rDNS service, but I might be
> adding that in the next few weeks…

curl doesn't need getnameinfo() though...