Re: DEPRECATE.md

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 14:29:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 2 Jul 2018, Rich Gray wrote:

>>   https://curl.haxx.se/dev/deprecate.html
>
> I wonder if for depreciation of build options like axTLS, you should arrange
> a big warning message should anyone try to build it. This may get someone's
> attention when they might otherwise miss notification on this list or the
> site.

I think the downside with such an approach is that we then have to keep and
maintain that option going forward, even when we no longer support that build
setup. A little too much luggage for my taste, for passengers who have gotten
off the boat already.

Until the actual removal point I think that's a great way to trigger people's
attention though and that's basically what building with axTLS will do until
December 1st.

The effect of trying to use a removed build feature after removal is simply
that it won't work and if you then refer to the documentation it will not
include any traces of the removed thing. Except the DEPRECATE.md document
then, which will hold the explanation and deprecation history.

> For a runtime option like HTTP pipelining, I guess the best one can do is to
> put out a depreciated option warning when it is used and any sort of logging
> is enabled.

Yes, in general I would like that (although we also know that added messages
in logging is next to pointless since people will just ignore that anyway).

In this case however, the curl_multi_setopt() option has no way to output any
logging (logging within libcurl are always associated with an easy handle).
And I don't dare to send output to stderr either, as that risks causing
breakages by itself!